Monday, July 8, 2013

Teacher Characteristics that I would like to develop / strengthen:



1. Fluidity

What- If any given class period goes in an unintended, yet meaningful or worthwhile direction, I want to be better at both accepting and enhancing such unplanned turns in the road.

Why- As a new teacher, I feel like I go into any given class with an extremely rigid plan in mind. Particularly in an English / Language Arts classroom, literary discussions and other planned activities will undoubtedly, and by all means should, veer off course. So long as such tangents remain productive, I want to be better at encouraging them instead of feeling pressured to move on.

How- As a teacher, it’s always better to over-plan than under-plan. Planning lessons in sections in such a way that a follow-up activity or “next-step” and easily be postponed until the following day allows for the fluidity that I envision. “Picking up where we left off” at the start of the next lesson is certainly not a bad thing, and if anything can be viewed as a means of ensuring that students carry their learning with them and will be held accountable for it beyond the bell.

2. Communication with Parents

What- Be it for academic reasons or disruptive behavior, parents or guardians should be made aware of their students’ performance in the classroom as often as possible.

Why- I’ve found that a quick phone conversation or email exchange can be incredibly insightful when trying to get to the bottom of a student’s struggles in the classroom. Oftentimes when a student isn’t reaching his or her full potential, there are external factors bigger than instruction at play that must be acknowledged and addressed. Likewise, if a student is putting forth a remarkable effort, regularly comes to class with a positive attitude, or in any other way is presenting a model of ideal classroom behavior, his or her work deserves to be rewarded and recognized through parental contact.

How- I was at first hesitant to contact parents if a student wasn’t doing well in my class because I felt like it was my fault and I feared I would let them down. However, I now know that calls or emails home don’t need to be long, drawn-out affairs. Instead, consistent, short and to the point notifications in some way shape or form are the best route to collaborative success, and feel less intimidating as a teacher.

3. Collaboration with fellow teachers


What- The richest resource at a teacher’s disposal in any given school (beyond the limitless lessons we can learn from our students) are the collective experiences, educational philosophies, practices, and curriculum of our fellow teachers.

Why- Just like our students, all teachers are defined by a unique set of strengths, perspectives, and stories to share. The more that we get into the habit of using this boundless and easily-accessible resource to the best of our advantage, the better educators we will all become.

How- As teachers, we all have a specific vision of what a classroom should look like and what kind of learning should take place in it, and that being said, it can be easy to fall into a pattern of complete self-reliance in creating our learning environments and curriculum. However, we should be collaborating, both within the bounds of our departments and grade levels and in an inter-disciplinary or cross-curricular manner. It’s only natural that students should be reading The Scarlet Letter in English class at the same time that they’re learning about Puritanism in History, or The Great Gatsby simultaneously with a unit on The Roaring Twenties or The Jazz Age. Teachers should meet as often as possible, but also make time in our busy schedules to observe one another’s classrooms. This allows us to observe both diverse teaching styles and techniques, and our students’ behavior and performance in other classroom environments.

2 comments:

  1. All very important for each teacher to develop. Nice game plan = good luck - by completing them you will function better in the classroom. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire,
    Those are some great characteristics to strengthen! I completely agree that I need to better at communicating with parents (the good and the bad) and also be better at collaborating with other teachers. I think we often feel pressured to "have all the ideas" when in reality that's silly and we should use others' ideas because, quite frankly, they're better! My college lighting design professor always said if you see something (lighting-wise) in a show that you like, "COPY IT! There's a reason you like it: it looks good. If we don't copy each other's best ideas, we'll have poorly lit shows." I always found that to be funny but also very true. You want to be the best teacher you can be and the best way to do that is to draw upon other teachers and their ideas! I am the opposite of you when it comes to getting off track. That's my strength. When a lesson doesn't go as planned and the students are heavily interested in one aspect or start pondering I welcome it with very open arms. I live for that kind of stuff...which also makes it my weakness. I sometimes get so engulfed in the "off topic" conversation that I forget that we need to move forward and make progress on what it was I intended to teach. Perhaps we should get together and you can give me some pointers on how to do so and I can tell you how I just let the children explore a bit more without feeling like I've lost control or that it's unrelated. If we do that we'll be working on strengthening two of your three characteristics at the same time! I suppose we could call each others parents to practice the third but that's just silly! Good luck with strengthening all three of these! Being aware of what you need to work on is the number one way to figure out a way to strengthen those things.

    ReplyDelete